Subject: Re: [bug-diffutils] bug#35214: [Bug][diff][3.3] diff showing difference when there is none

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 06:46:39 -0500

On 4/9/19 11:03 PM, 方然 wrote:

> it is a same line! and if I delete some lines above and below this line
> then diff again it shows no difference as I expect.
> and not only this line all these lines in the first screenshot are same
> lines but show difference in diff.
> also use vimdiff to check. and show no difference in vimdiff.

Please don't ever send 9 megabytes of screenshots and sample files to a
mailing list (actually, I was a bit surprised that your images were
relatively small compared to the bulk of your log files, although it
would still have been a better use of bandwidth to just paste the text
from your window rather than capturing screenshots). You caused a lot of
unnecessary load on the mail server as it multiplied your message out to
every list recipient. Ideally, you should have minimized your problem
down to much smaller files - although the nature of the reported problem
in diff'ing large files may have indeed required the full log files to
reproduce (where trimming things would have made the problem disappear);
but even then, hosting your files externally and merely posting a URL in
the mail is more considerate when you would otherwise be sending more
than 100k to the list.

-- 
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org