Subject: Re: bug#35211: 26.1; Feature request: Saka Key like interface to eww

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 16:43:07 -0400

Dov Grobgeld <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm a fan of the Mozilla Firefox extension saka-key
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/saka-key/) which
> creates a way of interacting with the browser through the
> keyboard. The key sequence F F by default creates an overlay that
> shows one or two characters above each link of the displayed
> page. Pressing the displayed characters then jump to the link. This
> makes it very fast to jump to links anywhere on the page. By
> comparison in eww it is necessary to navigate with the cursor to the
> link and then press Enter, which is much slower.  I therefore suggest
> that an interface similar to Saka Key be provided in eww.

I like Saka Key in Firefox, but the reason that it's so useful there is
(in my opinion) that it makes Firefox more Emacs-like.  In Emacs there's
a plethora of functions for moving around in buffers (like C-s) and I
don't think the Saka Key paradigm fits that well with Emacs stuff...

I could see this being a part of one of the autocompletion DWIM modes
(like Company or Ivy or the like), though, for those who like that.  But
I don't really see it as part of core eww.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no