Subject: bug#35202: closed (Re: bug#35202: 27.0.50; Info-quoted false positives and false negatives)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 12:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35202: 27.0.50; Info-quoted false positives and false negatives

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35202: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35202
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35202: 27.0.50; Info-quoted false positives and false negatives
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 15:02:35 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 10:26:19 -0300
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > cannot be sure what to look at.  Could you please specify, for each
> > spot you analyzed, the node name and the text surrounding the regexp
> > match?  I'd like to go over all the places you found, but I need a
> 
> Sure Eli.  Sorry for not thinking about that before.
> 
> In the following, navigate to the mentioned node of the respective
> manual, and either search for the string in "Search for", or just search
> for the string in "Old match".  The string in "Search for" is the text
> just before the spot analyzed.

Thanks.  I've proofread all these places, and installed your patch.  I
also fixed a few typos that your analysis uncovered.

With that, I'm closing this bug.  Thanks a lot for your work on this
tricky issue.

Subject: 27.0.50; Info-quoted false positives and false negatives
From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
To: bug-gnu-emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 19:42:26 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.  I've noticed that the regexp of Info-mode-font-lock-keywords
throws some false negatives and positives.

In latest Emacs, do these steps to see the bug.
1) Start Emacs: emacs -Q
2) Go to the Emacs Manual: C-h r
3) Go to the Basic node: m Basic RET
4) Go to the Inserting Text section: 1
5) Search for "which is": C-s which is RET
6) Type: M-x describe-text-properties
Notice that face is Info-quoted, even though point is not in a quote.

This is a false positive.  Under the same section, there's another false
positive: "To see which characters have " is quoted too.

Now to show a false negative, in the same Emacs Manual:
Search for this string C-s ‘’’.  That is: C-x 8 [ followed by C-x 8 ]
followed by C-x 8 ].
The search should get you to the Text Display section.  Move point to
the middle ’, the one that is being quoted, and again type:
M-x describe-text-properties.  It doesn't have the face Info-quoted,
even though it is a quote.

I hope I've described well enough the issue.  Proposed patch to follow.

Best regards,
Mauro.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2019-04-08 built on the-blackbeard
Repository revision: 36dc39bfbf1a307769bd62dbe1311a1935737b51
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark saved where search started
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Mark saved where search started
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils iso-transl pp
wid-edit descr-text help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib misearch multi-isearch
info easymenu elec-pair mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 76132 6951)
 (symbols 24 6685 1)
 (strings 16 20842 1712)
 (string-bytes 1 613744)
 (vectors 8 10074)
 (vector-slots 4 126132 14196)
 (floats 8 23 19)
 (intervals 28 3882 0)
 (buffers 564 13)
 (heap 1024 8510 811))