Subject: bug#352: set-cursor-color docstring vs. list-colors-display "showroom"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 03:20:29 +0800

|set-cursor-color is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `frame.el'.
|(set-cursor-color COLOR-NAME)
|
|Set the text cursor color of the selected frame to COLOR-NAME.
|When called interactively, prompt for the name of the color to use.
|To get the frame's current cursor color, use `frame-parameters'.

Hogwash. M-: (frame-parameters) doesn't mention anything about cursor
colors.

By the way, please add to the above docstring that one can use
M-x list-colors-display to see a choice of colors. (No, I don't want
to use the "Easy Customization Interface".)

Also in Info, do mention set-cursor-color and list-colors-display on
"19.15 Displaying the Cursor".

Wait, I did (set-cursor-color "black") and (set-cursor-color
"DarkRed") but now the character underneath isn't bright enough.

So mention that one also needs to adjust the color or the character
underneath and how to do that, in the above docstring.

Yes, one could use M-x customize but M-x customize is not necessarily
enjoyable to use for every user.

Yes, the contrast looked great in the list-colors-display "showroom",
but when one uses set-cursor-color, the underlying character is not
thus adjusted.

OK, now we are stuck with an ugly cursor, and M-x set-cursor-color
won't take nil for an answer to at least give us back the default
cursor color, whatever that was.