Subject: bug#35180: 27.0.50; emacs daemon and “package” often inserts [I when opening file

From: Han Boetes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 15:33:21 +0200

From: Han Boetes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 27.0.50; emacs daemon and “package” often inserts [I when opening
file
--text follows this line--

When using this .emacs/init.el:

(custom-set-variables
 '(package-archives
   '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
     ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))
 '(package-selected-packages
   '(pager)))
(require 'package)
(unless package--initialized (package-initialize t))
(unless package-archive-contents
  (package-refresh-contents))
(dolist (package package-selected-packages)
  (unless (package-installed-p package)
    (package-install package)))

And starting emacs like this:
  cd .emacs && pkill emacs && rm -rf elpa auto-save-list && pgrep emacs ||
  /usr/local/bin/emacs --no-site-file --no-splash --daemon

And then opening a file with for example:
  emacsclient -nw -c init.el

At the cursor the string "[I" is inserted.

The pager package I selected for this case is because it was the most
primitive package I could find. Any other package triggered the same
behaviour. As you can see it's not even initialized.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2019-04-05 built on janis
Repository revision: f2d22273599f96a731e23b2f6d7571af8bb7bb3f
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid

Recent messages:
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [8 times]
next-line: End of buffer [3 times]
Saving file /home/han/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote /home/han/.emacs.d/init.el
(No changes need to be saved)
When done with a buffer, type C-x #
Making completion list...
funcall-interactively: End of buffer [5 times]
user-error: End of history; no default available [3 times]
funcall-interactively: End of buffer

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x --with-x-toolkit=gtk 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE
XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail term/xterm xterm server compile
comint ansi-color ring elec-pair autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt mm-archive
message dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils gnutls
network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap epg finder-inf package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 297371 134546)
 (symbols 48 12921 2)
 (strings 32 96918 19735)
 (string-bytes 1 3782341)
 (vectors 16 27205)
 (vector-slots 8 1111668 166944)
 (floats 8 31 428)
 (intervals 56 240 12)
 (buffers 992 18))