Subject: Re: bug#35177: 27.0.50; Binding deactivate-mark to nil unexpectedly deactivates the mark

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 19:46:30 -0400

Markus Triska <[email-masked]> writes:

> 3. In that Emacs instance, please do:
>
>    M-x evaluate-buffer RET M-x mark-test-run RET
>
>    After this, "hello" is displayed and the mark is active.

> Can you reproduce this?

Sort of.  There is some interaction with the suggest-key-bindings
feature.  On the first run, the mark stays active until the message with
the suggestion goes away, and only then gets deactivated.

    You can run the command ‘mark-test-run’ with M-x ma-t RET

If set suggest-key-bindings to nil, or type in exactly M-x ma-t RET,
then the mark is deactivated the first time too.

> This seems related to the current issue. However, if you consider this
> unrelated, please let me know, and I will file this as a separate issue.

Yeah, I think it's the same issue.  If I include (setq
suggest-key-bindings nil) and (make-local-variable 'deactivate-mark)
then the mark stays active consistently.