Subject: [bug#35176] [PATCH 0/5] 'guix gc --delete-generations' and '--list-roots'

From: Björn Höfling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 21:01:09 +0200

On Sat,  6 Apr 2019 23:26:56 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello Guix!
> 
> This patch series is mostly about making it easier to free space:
> ‘guix gc --delete-generations’ deletes old generations of all the
> user’s profiles prior to collecting garbage.
> 
> For consistency, ‘--delete-generations’ is aliased with ‘-d’, so
> ‘-d’ is repurposed (until now it was an alias for ‘--delete’).

I'm using regularly `guix gc -d /gnu/store/...` and I'm a bit concerned
about re/abusing this existing parameter. First I like the simple '-d'
to delete a store path. Second, how big is the chance I could
accidentally delete (all) older generations of my profiles? I really
like to keep them for a long time, until my disk is near-full, and it
looks like gc-roots are no longer a safe way to keep them?

Björn