Subject: bug#35175: Cannot reconfigure

From: Luther Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 07:02:38 -0400

On Sun, 07 Apr 2019 08:15:53 +0000
[email-masked] wrote:

> I think your guix files are old but your config needs new version.
> Have you performed `guix pull && guix package -u` first?

I run `sudo guix pull` every day that I reconfigure, and it works.

I don't think it makes sense to run `guix package -u` as root, because
reconfiguring takes care of all that. Root should not need any packages
that aren't in the OS configuration.

> It helped me: just boot with another (may be the oldest) kernel and
> make updates with `guix pull && guix package -u` And then try again.

I'm hoping I won't have to use an older system generation or an older
Guix commit, because as long as `sudo guix pull` works, I should be
able to reconfigure as soon as someone fixes this bug (assuming my
backtrace is enough for someone to locate the bug).

> If not, post `guix describe` if it will be renewed.

Current output of `sudo guix describe`:

  guix 32c055f
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 32c055fd32059cbe0ab6f94eb3ef3a8c7e49dc92

So there's been further commits since I first encountered the problem.
Other than that, there's not much info here.

For what it's worth, I'm able to update my user profile without any
issue.

Luther