Subject: bug#35163: 25.1; `narrow-to-region' docstring no mention of args

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2019 19:09:39 -0400

> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>

>> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>

>> OP wants every doc string to literally contain the upper-case argument
>> names, ie START and END in this case (as per eg checkdoc's "Argument ...
>> should appear (as ...) in the doc string"). If you agree, it's a trivial
>> change. If not, close as wontfix.
>
> Thanks, fixed.
>
>> (People who have particular ideas about doc strings could save everyone
>> a lot of time by sending patches.)
>
> Or at least a clear description of the problem.

To be fair, message [11] is fairly clear and pretty close to what Glenn
wrote (perhaps it misses the emphasis on satisfying checkdoc).  Things
unfortunately derailed after that.

An 80+ line elisp riddle on a report about a docstring bug is surely a
sign something has gone horribly wrong...

[11]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35163#11