Subject: bug#35155: closed (Re: [bug#35155] [PATCH] build-system/cargo: refactor phases to successfully build)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 16:02:03 +0000

Your bug report

#35155: [PATCH] build-system/cargo: refactor phases to successfully build

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35155: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35155
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#35155] [PATCH] build-system/cargo: refactor phases to successfully build
From: Ivan Petkov <[email-masked]>
To: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 09:01:20 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thank you Chris!

—Ivan

> On Apr 9, 2019, at 3:12 AM, Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Ivan,
> 
> I've committed this as 1d3acde5087d50af6a4901fd7614f0940eb7b41d on
> master.  Thank you!
> 
> -- 
> Chris

Subject: [PATCH] build-system/cargo: refactor phases to successfully build
From: Ivan Petkov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 00:07:27 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This patch refactors the cargo-build-system builder code to correctly build
imported Rust crates. Specifically the changes:

* Do not rely on a Cargo.lock presence to determine installation. Cargo will
automatically create the file at its first invocation, so instead we check
the manifest for any executable targets before attempting an installation
* Do not attempt to modify the Cargo.toml file. There are many system specific
package in crates.io (e.g. for Windows, Redox, Fuschia, WASM, etc.) and
attempting to keep up with what crates must be patched out is futile.
* The build phases will honor a skip-build? flag which allows for
short-circuiting for optional packages which require nightly features or cannot
be built for the current platform.

Changes which still need to be done:
* Update the host-side code to expand transitive inputs: cargo requires that
all transitive crate dependencies are present in its (vendored) index, but
doing so by hand in the package definitions will become unwieldy.
* Update the host-side code to detect any "circular" dependencies which can
result from a naive import

Unfortunately there isn't a good way to test this patch at the moment.
Importing a non-trivial crate requires a lot of manual resolution, especially
with the points above remaining unimplemented.

If someone would really like to see the input package definitions I was using
to test, I'd be happy to share, though I'd advise that it's pretty hacked up
for my own convoluted testing at the moment.

—Ivan