Subject: Re: bug#35130: 27.0.50; gnus cannot save

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:18:27 -0700

James Cloos <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>>> "EA" == Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> EA> Are you doing this with topic mode on or off?
>
> Off
>
>
> EA> ... could you edebug `gnus-group-prepare-flat' and see if anything
> EA> is obviously taking a bunch of time?
>
> I've not used edebug.  And nothing I tried at M-x did anything.
>
> How does one edebug gnus-group-prepare-flat?

You find the location of `gnus-group-prepare-flat' by running "C-h f",
entering that function name, and hitting "RET". The resulting *Help*
buffer will have a hyperlink to the "gnus-group.el" file -- follow that
hyperlink. Once you've got the source file open and point is somewhere
within the definition of `gnus-group-prepare-flat', hit "C-u C-M-x" to
edebug the function. Now when you go back to Gnus's *Group* buffer and
try re-sorting, Emacs should jump you into `gnus-group-prepare-flat',
and you can "step" through that function using the space bar. You'll see
variable values displayed in the message area, and you can also hit "e"
and type in expressions to see their value.

Hopefully you will see something suspicious that will lead to our
solution.

Eric