Subject: bug#35130: 27.0.50; gnus cannot save

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 10:53:12 -0700

James Cloos <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>>> "EA" == Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> EA> When you have time, would you pull from master and try again? I think
> EA> this ought to be fixed now.
>
> As of commit f9694a713824d402bcba01064ac2f95156bf4161 gnus remains unusable.
>
> It was OK at first, but after adding the latest new imap group and
> trying to sort everything broke.
>
> It is completely unable to sort.  Not by name, level, method, etc.  The
> results look like they follow a hash order rather than the required
> alphabetic order.
>
> And after "sorting" it cannot save.

Would you try this again? I've installed some relevant fixes, including
to sorting, and it's behaving stably for me now.

> Gnus suffers greatly from inefficiency. If your ideas can make it
> faster I am all for them.  But it seems the changes need to be backed
> out and done in a branch before they are ready for consumption.

I think it may be a bit too late for that. It needed more testing,
that's for sure, and I apologize for making Gnus unresponsive. But what
appears to be fairly catastrophic failure at this point is actually
caused by fairly small bugs. The changes were done in a branch; my
mistake was in not getting more volunteer road-testers. I won't make
that mistake again.

Eric