Subject: 12.1.2; C-u ` <symbol> puts cursor before closing dollar sign

From: Todor Tsankov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 20:18:33 +0200

Dear maintainer,

The math prefix command "`" with a prefix argument allows to quickly
insert mathematical symbols surrounded by dollar signs. After this
command, AucTeX places the cursor before the closing dollar sign, so one
needs an extra keystroke to move forward and continue typing after that.
This did not happen in version 11.91, where the cursor was placed after
the closing dollar sign, so it can be considered a regression. This is
quite annoying for me: I mostly use this command to insert single
symbols (for example Greek letters) in the text.

In case this change was intentional, please provide a configuration
option to revert to the old behaviour (which, in my opinion, makes more
sense).

Thank you for maintaining AucTeX!

Regards,
Todor

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-09-15, modified by Debian
Package: 12.1.2

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2019-02-08"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
"/home/todor/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/style"
                  "/home/todor/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
"/home/todor/.emacs.d/auctex/style"
                  "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
                     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts)
%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode
texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run plain TeX")
                    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil
(latex-mode doctex-mode)
                     :help "Run LaTeX")
                    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t"
TeX-run-compile nil
                     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
                    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t"
TeX-run-compile nil
                     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
                    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts)
%S%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX
                     nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
                    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts)
%(execopts)%t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt
once")
                    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts)
%(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX
                     nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until
completion")
                    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help
"Run BibTeX")
                    ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run
Biber")
                    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
"Run Viewer")
                    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the
file")
                    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View
the printer queue"
                     :visible TeX-queue-command)
                    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t t :help
                     "Generate PostScript file")
                    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil t
:help
                     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
                    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil t :help
                     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
                    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil t :help
                     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
                    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %s" TeX-run-command
nil t :help
                     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
                    ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help
                     "Run makeindex to create index file")
                    ("upMendex" "upmendex %s" TeX-run-index t t :help
                     "Run upmendex to create index file")
                    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
                     "Run xindy to create index file")
                    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil
(latex-mode) :help
                     "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
                    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil
(latex-mode) :help
                     "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
                    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")"
TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Spell-check the document")
                    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Delete generated intermediate files")
                    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t
:help
                     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
                    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an
arbitrary command"))
 )