Subject: bug#35085: Emacs is not reproducible

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 21:01:58 +0100

Dear,

An update to say that the situation is maybe worse.

Let build the same version than Ludo [1] with:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
guix time-machine --commit=f678cc9 -- build emacs
guix time-machine --commit=f678cc9 -- build emacs \
                                        --check --no-grafts -K
diff -r --no-dereference
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3{,-check}
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35085#8

Then, Ludo reported theses ones that I do not have:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
lisp/calendar/cal-iso.elc
lisp/cedet/semantic/lex-spp.elc
lisp/cedet/semantic/tag-ls.elc
lisp/emacs-lisp/easy-mode.elc
lisp/eshell/esh-proc.elc
lisp/vc/ediff-mult.elc
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

but instead I have these ones:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/calendar/cal-islam.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/eshell/esh-cmd.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/gnus/gnus-int.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/gnus/gnus-start.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/net/tramp-ftp.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/org/org-lint.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/org/org-mobile.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/org/ox-md.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/org/ox-odt.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/progmodes/ada-xref.elc
/gnu/store/zja4gdq52wxlppa0pq2j5id7pl9zfqkq-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/progmodes/ebnf-abn.elc
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And building several times changes a bit this list, e.g., sometimes
'lisp/progmodes/ada-xref.elc' differs, sometimes not.

Using Guix commit 3c9e86ae8bf09d993e2e7a4ecb43d80da8fabb99, * means
appears in the Ludo's list and # in mine (above).

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
*/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/bin/.emacs-26.3-real
*/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/easy-mmode.elc
#/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio.elc
*/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/eshell/esh-proc.elc
#/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/gnus/gnus-int.elc
#/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/gnus/gnus-start.elc
#/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/net/tramp-ftp.elc
#/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/org/org-lint.elc
#/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/org/org-mobile.elc
#/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/org/ox-md.elc
#/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/org/ox-odt.elc
#/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/progmodes/ebnf-abn.elc
*/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/progmodes/ebnf-bnf.elc
*/gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/vc/ediff-mult.elc
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

For example, the file 'lisp/cedet/semantic/lex-spp.elc' sometimes
differs, sometimes not.

Maybe, the first step is to inspect the .elc files. But I am not sure
how to use diffoscope, I mean, I am not able to find my road with:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
diffoscope /gnu/store/54m1fqnkhjm5jy22barxy3r86jg6nsxs-emacs-26.3{,-check}/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/easy-mmode.elc
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

All the best,
simon