Subject: window-setup-hook not working with the new frame parameters

From: Michael Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 01:57:18 -0400

See this StackOverflow thread:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/48645/if-start-with-maximized-frame-why-do-windows-open-top-bottom-not-side-by-side

as well as Stefan's answer, and comments on that answer. Essentially, I
do not believe window-setup-hook is properly running after all frame
parameters have been set, as is suggested in the documentation here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Startup-Summary.html

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.23.2)
 of 2018-08-13 built on buildvm-13.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.12003000
System Description: Fedora release 29 (Twenty Nine)

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/OP/core/mind/sys/proc/as.md
Saving file /home/OP/core/mind/sys/proc/as.md...
Wrote /home/OP/core/mind/sys/proc/as.md
Saving file /home/OP/core/mind/sys/proc/main.org...
Wrote /home/OP/core/mind/sys/proc/main.org
command-execute: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Quit [2 times]
C-x C-g is undefined
Mark set
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fexceptions
 -fstack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/asymptote/asy-keywords hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/asymptote/asy-keywords
/usr/share/asymptote/asy-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/asymptote/asy-mode
/usr/share/asymptote/asy-init hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/asy-init
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/maxima-modes hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/maxima/site_start.d/maxima-modes

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug sendmail dired-aux mail-extr utop utop-minor-mode
pcase vc-git diff-mode apropos misearch multi-isearch pulse xref project
ruler-mode hl-line hexl pcmpl-unix pp cus-edit cus-start cus-load
cl-print eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe completion help-fns
radix-tree cl-extra help-mode markdown-mode color thingatpt shell
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit org-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode dired dired-loaddefs org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m
org-element avl-tree generator org advice org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs elec-pair edmacro kmacro server finder-inf tex-site
proof-site proof-autoloads pg-vars rx info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib emacs-goodies-loaddefs time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 436153 75706)
 (symbols 48 41249 2)
 (miscs 40 840 1305)
 (strings 32 141082 5579)
 (string-bytes 1 3831899)
 (vectors 16 49868)
 (vector-slots 8 1694714 196144)
 (floats 8 392 1080)
 (intervals 56 2214 433)
 (buffers 992 30))