Subject: bug#35055: 27.0.50; async-shell-command truncates output lines

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 19:55:25 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Juri,

>> What about calling this just `shell-command-width'? It wouldn't hurt for
>> synchronous shell commands, and I could adapt
>> `tramp-remote-process-environment' accordingly if set. Might be more
>> convenient for users.
>
> Yes, this is a more general name.  I pushed to master.

Thanks. However, I've meant this also for synchronous
`shell-command'. You have implemented this only for asynchronous.

The synchronous `shell-command' does not suffer from the buffer width
restriction. But there might be use cases to set a fixed width, for
example if you want to get a well-defined output layout.

Would you also mind to document the new user option in the Emacs manual?

> BTW, I had a hard time finding the info about one of the most demanding
> Tramp features - an ability to edit files with sudo on a remote server.
>
> I searched for "ssh+sudo" by analogy with the git+ssh:// scheme,
> but failed to find anything related among all documented methods in
> the Tramp manual, even when searched separately for "ssh" and "sudo".
> Eventually I found it in an unexpected chapter "Ad-hoc multi-hops"
> that allows to do: C-x C-f /ssh:user@host|sudo::/path <RET>

Well, this is not a feature on this own. It is just an example how to
apply ad-hoc multi-hops. That's why it is described in that section.

> Would it be possible to make this feature more prominent?

There is an introduction chapter "Quick Start Guide". I've added some
words about ssh+sudo, and friends.