Subject: bug#35044: 25.2; Description of "disappearing" faces (Emacs Manual)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 20:43:33 +0100

Starting with 'emacs -Q', in text-mode or fundamental-mode, after 'M-x
table-insert' or 'M-x table-recognize', switch to outline-mode and see
table highlight (table-cell face) disappear.  Switch back to text-mode
or fundamental-mode, start 'TABing' (table-forward-cell) inside table
and face will be back cell after cell.

According to help-gnu-emacs thread
(lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-03/msg00205.html) this
is normal behaviour, but from perspective of beginner it looks like
a bug.  Therefore I suggest a sentence or two, perhaps in chapter
"11.12 Font lock mode", about how Font lock takes over control of
faces when user switches to mode with defined font-lock faces leaving
only those from this mode and turning off others (unless they have
also property font-lock-face).

Also the behaviour of reappearing table-cell face after switch back to
fundamental-mode or text-mode seems to be not quite right, shouldn't it
reappear in every cell at once (just like it disappears)?

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)
  of 2017-04-24 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  'configure --host=i686-w64-mingw32 --without-dbus
  --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-static -O2 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: PLK
   locale-coding-system: cp1250

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Preparing diary...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils view cal-china
lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs finder-inf
package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 115274 13462)
  (symbols 32 22270 0)
  (miscs 32 103 141)
  (strings 16 24031 4760)
  (string-bytes 1 745960)
  (vectors 8 16010)
  (vector-slots 4 486417 6170)
  (floats 8 712 304)
  (intervals 28 290 37)
  (buffers 520 22))