Subject: bug#35016: closed (Re: bug#35016: ranger not fully working)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 13:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#35016: ranger not working fully

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
35016: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35016
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#35016: ranger not fully working
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: Bradley Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 14:46:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 12:53:14PM +0000, Bradley Haggerty wrote:
> This issue may be closed. I don't know how to do that myself.

Like I am doing right now, by cc-ing [email-masked].

Thanks,

Andreas

Subject: ranger not working fully
From: Bradley Haggerty <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 05:36:11 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I believe this affects multiple things in ranger, but off the top of my
head it's mainly the `:bulkrename` option, which is supposed to open the
selected files in vidir using your specified editor so that you can rename
file(s) with the full features of your favorite editor. It is intended for
renaming files in bulk just like it sounds, but I also find it's often
easier to use than the normal rename command because you don't have to type
the current name, and it's easy to do things like change capitalization of
a selection in vim.
This is a long-standing issue, but I was ignoring it for some reason. I
guess I use ranger more on remote machines running different distros.
steps to reproduce:
- install ranger
- launch ranger
- type :bulkrename, that is start by hitting the colon key and then
continue typing the name of the command
I think it's likely due to locations of certain files being different on
guix. Hopefully someone can figure out a fix without too much trouble. If
you have access to another distro to see how it works normally, that might
help as well. You may need to install optional dependencies for this
feature to work. Likely just vidir or a package that it's a part of. For me
I believe I got vidir from the `moreutils` package.
guix version: guix (GNU Guix) 4fee5ec049807cc7a7070d31e5eb28d5c6109e02