Subject: bug#35010: Many CPAN download URLs are no longer available

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 18:10:03 -0400

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> The good news is that the (guix upstream) framework gets to see the
> correct URL:
>
> scheme@(guile-user)> (package-latest-release perl-uri (force %updaters))
> $6 = #<<upstream-source> package: "perl-uri" version: "1.76" urls: ("mirror://cpan/authors/id/O/OA/OALDERS/URI-1.76.tar.gz") signature-urls: #f input-changes: #<procedure 7fced1c44ca0 at guix/import/cpan.scm:308:7 (x)>>
>
> So with a bit of work we could change ‘package-update’ to automatically
> update the URL.
>
> (Time passes…)
>
> Commit 42314ffa072f31cc1cb44df38b1f8fcca19d9d3c should fix this.

Nice!  I haven't looked closely, but does this somehow update the code
that computes source URLs using 'string-append'?  If so, that's
impressive :)

In other news, here's another batch of bad source URLs that Hydra
recently failed to fetch:

  mirror://savannah/starfighter/1.7/project-starfighter-1.7-src.tar.gz
  mirror://cpan/authors/id/P/PI/PIJLL/DateTime-Calendar-Julian-0.100.tar.gz
  mirror://cpan/authors/id/A/AD/ADAMK/Object-Signature-1.08.tar.gz
  mirror://cpan/authors/id/J/JH/JHI/Time-HiRes-1.9760.tar.gz
  mirror://cpan/authors/id/F/FR/FREW/Class-C3-Componentised-1.001002.tar.gz
  mirror://cpan/authors/id/R/RG/RGARCIA/base-2.23.tar.gz

       Mark