Subject: bug#35005: 27.0.50; Fontification unexpectedly works with anonymous faces

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2019 13:01:05 -0500

>    FACENAME is an expression whose value is the face name to use.
>    Instead of a face, FACENAME can evaluate to a property list of
>    the form (face FACE PROP1 VAL1 PROP2 VAL2 ...)  in which case all
>    the listed text-properties will be set rather than just FACE.
>
> This currently states that a face name is expected.
>
> Since the Elisp documentation also states: "Unless otherwise stated, we
> will use the term “face” to refer only to named faces.", the notion of
> "face" in the description above also does not include anonymous faces.
>
> Would it work to mention that "face FACE" can also be omitted, i.e.,
> that an anonymous face can also be specified here?

No, the `face FACE` *cannot* be omitted: the `face' symbol in the car is
tested to distinguish this case.  Note also that the `PROP1 VAL1 ...`
are *not* face properties, they are *text* properties.

The above docstring should probably replace "face name" by "face" but
other than that it looks about right.

        Stefan