Subject: bug#35005: 27.0.50; Fontification unexpectedly works with anonymous faces

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 16:07:51 +0100

Markus Triska <[email-masked]> writes:

> With the change that is now installed, the documentation reads:
>
>    Many parts of Emacs require named faces, but some do not accept
>    anonymous faces (e.g., the functions documented in @ref{Attribute
>    Functions})
>
> Where "require named faces" and "do not accept anonymous faces" amounts
> to the same thing, so the wording seems not to be the intended one.

Yeah, that's a very awkward of putting it, so I've now tweaked it some.

> So in fact, the documentation now stresses further that named faces are
> required, whereas the point of this issue is to document that anonymous
> faces can be used for fontification. This still cannot be deduced from
> the current manual. If that works, could you please document it?

It just mentions one example where named faces are required, and I think
the reader will take from that that Emacs will document when you can't
use anonymous faces.  Since font locking doesn't say anything about
that, then the natural interpretation is that font locking doesn't
require named faces.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no