Subject: bug#34992: 26.1; message-send-mail-with-mailclient mangles MIME messages

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 15:58:43 -0400

David Bremner <[email-masked]> writes:

>> No, Emacs copies the message text into the system clipboard and tells
>> the user to paste it from there into the mail client.
>
> I think that's only the default on Windows. On my machines [1] it just
> silently sends.

I don't think that's the default on any systems -- the first time you
send an email, Emacs will query the user, and the sensible choice for
most people would be to specify an SMTP client.  That's not possible on
all systems, though, to -with-mailclient is also an option...  but it's
a very poor option indeed.

But I'm unable to reproduce the reported bug: Message creates a
multipart message, and the first part of that message is usually a
text/plain one.  The body looks correct to me.  However, I doubt there's
any way to convey to the "system mailer" what you're trying to send a
multipart message in any reliable way.

So it would perhaps make sense to tell the user that you can't send
attachments via -with-mailclient if you try to do that?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no