Subject: Re: bug#34983: 27.0.50; Gnus cannot start

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:07:46 +0000

Bastien <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm trying to better understand a few things, can you educate me?
>
> What is the Gnus "active" file?

It is like an index; see (info "(gnus) The Active File").

> Where is it on my computer?

I believe it lives on the remote server, and is perhaps/probably cached
during operation and depending on your configuration.

> What is the .newsrc.eld file?

A Gnus startup file; see (info "(gnus) Startup Files").

> What is the difference between .newsrc.eld and the active file?

The former locally records personal state, whereas the latter remotely
records server state.

Disclaimer: this is just my shallow understanding as a user, not an
expert.

-- 
Basil