Subject: bug#34983: 27.0.50; Gnus cannot start

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 07:09:29 +0000

>>>>> Deus Max <[email-masked]> writes:

    > On Sun, Mar 24 2019, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
    >> Deus Max <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> 
    >>> On Sun, Mar 24 2019, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
    >>> 
    >>>> Bastien <[email-masked]> writes:
    >>>> 
    >>>>> I checked out and buil Emacs from master today 24-03-2019.
    >>>>> 
    >>>>> I started Gnus using my usual configuration (see
    >>>>> https://github.com/bzg/dotemacs/blob/master/emacs.el) and got
    >>>>> this error:
    >>>>> 
    >>>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument
    >>>>> number-or-marker-p nil) <=(nil 6) gnus-get-unread-articles(nil
    >>>>> nil) gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil) #f(compiled-function ()
    >>>>> #<bytecode 0x1556149e8b91>)() gnus-1(nil nil nil) gnus(nil)
    >>>>> funcall-interactively(gnus nil) call-interactively(gnus record
    >>>>> nil) command-execute(gnus record) execute-extended-command(nil
    >>>>> "gnus" "gnus") funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command
    >>>>> nil "gnus" "gnus") call-interactively(execute-extended-command
    >>>>> nil nil) command-execute(execute-extended-command)
    >>>>> 
    >>>>> Starting Gnus *without* a .newsrc.eld file, I can list local
    >>>>> groups from my dovecot local IMAP server, but I get another
    >>>>> weird behavior: after leaving the summary buffer, the group I
    >>>>> just left is listed one more time; if I enter the group and
    >>>>> leave it again, I get three groups of the same name in the
    >>>>> group buffer, etc.
    >>>>> 
    >>>>> To read Gnus using my .newsrc.eld file again, I tried to
    >>>>> revert back to Emacs 26.0.92 but now Emacs seems unable to
    >>>>> read my .newsrc.eld at all.  Is it possible that recent
    >>>>> changes against Gnus changed the way Gnus parses .newsrc.eld?
    >>>>> 
    >>>>> Copying Eric, as he seems to have been active on Gnus
    >>>>> recently.
    >>>> 
    >>>> This is frustrating -- this was the most important part of the
    >>>> patch, and the part I thought I'd tested most thoroughly. At
    >>>> worst I think Gnus may be trying to read .newsrc.eld using the
    >>>> wrong encoding, so I don't think you will have lost anything
    >>>> permanently. (Still, I'm very sorry this is causing you Gnus
    >>>> outage.)
    >>>> 
    >>>> First -- did you run "make bootstrap" before running this new
    >>>> version?  Second, can you tell me if your non-ascii group names
    >>>> are being saved in .newsrc.eld in utf-8, or if they have
    >>>> literal byte sequences in them?
    >>>> 
    >>> Confirm for me, non-ascii group names are now being saved in
    >>> literal byte sequences in them. Here's an example:
    >>> "nnimap+AIA:Union/\316\224\316\243-\316\243\317\211\316\274\316\261\317\204\316\265\316\257\316\277\317\205"
    >>> 
    >>> Didn't have any such issues before. Compiled using "make
    >>> bootstrap", 3 days ago (and today).
    >> 
    >> Actually, I'm fairly sure that that's how Gnus has always done
    >> it, and I tried not to disturb that. But obviously I've done
    >> something wrong along the way and I think one part of Gnus is
    >> using a decoded version of the group name, and another part is
    >> using the encoded version.
    >> 
    >> Are you seeing duplicate group names? Would you check
    >> (text-properties-at (line-beginning-position)) on both of the
    >> duplicated groups, and tell me the value of the 'gnus-group
    >> property' for both?
    >> 
    >> Thanks, Eric

    > I didn't see any duplicate groups in my .newsrc.eld file.  Output
    > on above nnimap group (with literal byte sequences) is: (fontified
    > t)

Sorry to butt in, but I have a slightly different gnus issue with Emacs
27.0.50 (build 1, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5) of
2019-03-24. Before building, I had deleted all the .elc files in
lisp/gnus. When I launch gnus it fetches the gmane news and imap mail
satisfactory, but throws a warning on nnrss feeds I've not seen before:

Warning: Warning - invalid active: "nnrss:AnnPhys" 2059 1 y; Warning -
invalid active: "nnrss:JMO" 284 1 y; Warning - invalid active:
"nnrss:PRA" 307 1 y; Warning - invalid active: "nnrss:PRL" 852 1 y;
Warning - invalid active: "nnrss:ProcRSocA" 141 1 y; Warning - invalid
active: "nnrss:JPhysA" 133 1 y

I don't get this warning using emacs-26.1. I'm using Debian 3.16.59-1
(2018-10-03) i686 GNU/Linux.

Best wishes,

Colin.

-- 
Colin Baxter
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8
---------------------------------------------------------------------