Subject: bug#34981: closed (Re: bug#34981: 27.0.50; gnus-group-select-group errors with wrong type argument)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 02:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34981: 27.0.50; gnus-group-select-group errors with wrong type argument

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34981: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34981
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34981: 27.0.50; gnus-group-select-group errors with wrong type argument
From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 21:16:17 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon 25 Mar 2019 at 12:25, Alex Branham <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> Thanks for this report, I messed with Gnus recently and am now putting
>>> out fires. This is a new error for me, and I'll try to fix it tonight.
>>
>> Actually, here's a patch -- will you please try this out?
>
> Thanks, that seems to fix it for me. 

I see the fixes were applied to master, thanks. Closing this bug report.

Alex

Subject: 27.0.50; gnus-group-select-group errors with wrong type argument
From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 16:03:24 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm trying to start using gnus and perhaps ran into a bug. I'm trying to
view the emacs-devel mailing list through gnus, for starters.

>From emacs -q, built from the latest git master (commit
03e916beb0186f3707cd238650298870bf471575):

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "gnus.user" (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")))

M-x gnus

A A (gnus-group-list-active)

C-s emacs.devel C-s

RET (gnus-group-select-group)

produces:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument symbolp (827 . 234690))
  symbol-name((827 . 234690))
  gnus-group-group-name()
  redisplay_internal\ \(C\ function\)()
  redisplay()
  sit-for(2)
  execute-extended-command(nil "toggle-debug-on-error" "toggle-debug-on-error")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "toggle-debug-on-error" "toggle-debug-on-error")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2019-03-24 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: NixOS 18.09.2375.680f9d7ea90 (Jellyfish)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix