Subject: bug#34979: closed (Re: bug#34979: 24.5; indent .tex broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 15:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34979: 24.5; indent .tex broken

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34979: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34979
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34979: 24.5; indent .tex broken
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Thomas Bucaioni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 08:53:38 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> So if I read this discussion correctly, the problem is, quoting SE:
>
>     The problem is likely that your other files use tex-plain-mode
>     instead of latex-mode. The .tex extension is used for both, so
>     Emacs tries to guess, and it tends to err on the side of
>     tex-plain-mode.
>
>     You can add a -*- mode: latex -*- somewhere on the first line of
>     your files to avoid the problem.
>
> Is this something we would like to change, or is this working as
> expected and therefore notabug?

More information was requested, but none given within 28 weeks. I'm
therefore assuming this is working as expected, and I'm closing this
bug.

Please reply back if this is an issue and we can reopen the bug.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.5; indent .tex broken
From: Thomas Bucaioni <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 18:04:10 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

When pressing the TAB key, the indentation doesn't happen. Even, the
text is translated as in a Word or LibreOffice document.

See also :
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2012-09/msg00222.html

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-09-12 on x86-grnet-01, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9.8 (stretch)

Configured using:
 `configure --build i686-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-gnutls --build i686-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-gnutls --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs24-f5SXzK/emacs24-24.5+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -fno-PIE' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -no-pie''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: TeX

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/user/Documents/M2MPA/SolEx1.tex...
Wrote /home/user/Documents/M2MPA/SolEx1.tex
Indenting region...done
Saving file /home/user/Documents/M2MPA/SolEx1.tex...
Wrote /home/user/Documents/M2MPA/SolEx1.tex
Indenting region...done
Quit
Auto-saving...done
byte-code: Beginning of buffer
Auto-saving...done

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch tex-mode
compile shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring latexenc edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs cl-lib paren cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 130097 8740)
 (symbols 24 20052 0)
 (miscs 20 144 407)
 (strings 16 16742 5371)
 (string-bytes 1 447182)
 (vectors 8 14281)
 (vector-slots 4 834121 14072)
 (floats 8 74 731)
 (intervals 28 7726 16)
 (buffers 512 17))