Subject: bug#34979: 24.5; indent .tex broken

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2019 23:34:36 +0100

[Please keep the bug address in the To or Cc header.]

Thomas Bucaioni <[email-masked]> writes:

> As the file was a .tex, I expected Emacs to switch to mark-up mode as
> it does for .c files.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, can you please elaborate?
Which mark-up mode are you referring to?  How does it relate to *.c
files?

By default, Emacs opens *.tex files in tex-mode (see auto-mode-alist).
This is a generic parent mode which tries to guess which specialised
submode to enable (see tex-guess-mode).  Evaluating the following, for
example, should place you in a latex-mode buffer:

  (find-file (make-temp-file "my-" nil ".tex"))

If tex-guess-mode guesses incorrectly, there are several other ways to
specify the desired major mode, e.g. via an auto-mode-alist entry,
file/directory variable, hook, or otherwise (including the obvious
M-x latex-mode RET).

> Le ven. 5 avr. 2019 à 13:36, Basil L. Contovounesios <[email-masked]> a écrit :
>
>  Thomas Bucaioni <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>  > Hello,
>  > Someone found a fix on StackExchange :
>  > https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/48553/indentation-broken-with-all-inputfiles-tex
>  >
>  > Le mer. 27 mars 2019 à 13:27, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> a écrit :
>  >
>  >  Thomas Bucaioni wrote:
>  >
>  >  > When pressing the TAB key, the indentation doesn't happen. Even, the
>  >  > text is translated as in a Word or LibreOffice document.
>  >
>  >  Please give a minimal complete example starting from emacs -Q.
>  >
>  >  > In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
>  >
>  >  Please try the current release (26.1 at time of writing).
>
>  If the problem is that you were using the wrong major mode, could you
>  please elaborate on what the bug is?

-- 
Basil