Subject: Re: bug#34976: [debbugs.el] debbugs-read-emacs-bug-with-gnus sets user options

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 18:41:31 +0000

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but how would setting this new
>> debbugs user option be different from setting the existing Gnus user
>> options?  In other words, why can't users who want a Lars-esque workflow
>> (Larsflow?) just set the gnus-* user options themselves?  Wouldn't the
>> proposed debbugs user option be redundant?
>
> IIUC, Lars doesn't set these variables in his .emacs permanently. He
> needs them *only* in case of debbug-gnu, when a gnus-ephemeral group is
> created. The proposed variable does this for him.
>
> Otherwise, he would need to wrap the debbugs-gnu commands by own ones.

Thank you for clarifying.

I still don't see how the proposed user option would save Lars in that
case.  When Debbugs sets the gnus-* variables, these changes are not
isolated to Debbugs ephemeral groups, but affect Gnus globally.  One
would have to use different Emacs instances for each of Debbugs and Gnus
in order for these settings to not interfere with one another.  Right?

So, if one wants to suppress and persist duplicates in Debbugs but not
in Gnus, then either Gnus duplicate suppression has to become more
granular, or Debbugs has to implement its own duplicate suppression.

Or am I missing something?

-- 
Basil