Subject: Re: bug#34949: 27.0.50; Docstring of `vc-deduce-fileset' incomplete

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 01:46:29 +0200

>> The core concept of the proposed new command ‘C-x v V’ and ‘V’ in VC-Dired
>> is to deduce the fileset from the statuses of repository files, without
>> explicitly marking the files in VC-Dired and without using only the
>> current file as ‘C-x v v’ does.
>> Some dwim logic could be employed such as collecting only edited files
>> to the fileset, but I'm not sure if this will cover 100% of user needs.
>> Maybe some customizable variable could be added with a list of statuses
>> to specify what files to include to the fileset.
>
> Not sure about customizability.
>
> 'added' and 'edited' should cover it. Files with 'conflict' first should be
> resolved first, I think.

Is this 'conflict' status git-specific or other backends have it too?

In any case it seems the best default would be to include to fileset
all files except with the 'unregistered' status.  Then the backend will
handle the files with the 'conflict' status (e.g. to signal an error).