Subject: Re: bug#34949: 27.0.50; Docstring of `vc-deduce-fileset' incomplete

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 00:41:09 +0200

On 25.03.2020 22:59, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> Then VC-Dir could provide, for example:
>>
>> * r             vc-dir-mark-registered
>> * u             vc-dir-mark-unregistered
>> ...
> This is implemented as well:

Here's a somewhat more subtle option for your consideration:

Personally, I'm likely to never use vc-dir-mark-unregistered because I 
tend to leave unregistered files around (ones that should really be in 
gitignore, but it's a pain to add them). And adding unregistered files 
one-by-one is not too much trouble, it's a relatively rare operation (or 
you can always use 'M'). So I would leave that command unbound.

Marking "registered" files, though, could be made more streamlined. 
Right now I have to navigate to files in all different statuses present 
in the current repo and press 'M' for each status.

However! vc-dir-mark-all-files has a special behavior when it's called 
with C-u: it tries to mark all files in the current VC-Dir buffer. Which 
is pretty useless when we also have files in incompatible statuses 
because vc-next-action fails with that fileset.

So what we could do, is have vc-dir-mark-all-files call 
vc-dir-mark-registered in that case instead. This way the former command 
becomes significantly more useful, and the latter one doesn't really 
need a separate key binding. And I'm sure 'C-u M' would become quite handy.