Subject: bug#3494: 23.0.94; line-move-visual: temporary goal column confused by hscrolling

From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:44:28 +0300

On 2009-07-11 12:03 (-0400), Chong Yidong wrote:

> Does the following patch fix the problem?
>
> diff -c /home/cyd/emacs/lisp/simple.el.\~1.988.\~ /home/cyd/emacs/lisp/simple.el
> *** emacs/lisp/simple.el.~1.988.~	2009-06-21 00:37:46.000000000 -0400
> --- emacs/lisp/simple.el	2009-07-11 11:58:55.000000000 -0400

Not quite, I'm afraid. Setting goal column still messes it up badly. To
reproduce:

 1. emacs -Q -f toggle-truncate-lines

 2. Don't change the size of the window. Create test buffer with
    commands:

        C-u 85 a RET
        C-u 100 b RET

 3. Move the cursor to the end of the first (the line with a's).

 4. Enable goal column: C-x C-n

 5. Repeat C-n and C-p. The column changes quite wildly.

The problem goes away if I set line-move-visual to nil.