Subject: bug#34939: closed (Re: bug#34939: Some minibuffer behaviour is annoying)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 20:29:04 +0000

Your bug report

#34939: Some minibuffer behaviour is annoying

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34939: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34939
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34939: Some minibuffer behaviour is annoying
From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
To: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Cc: pinkanon pinkanon <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 23:27:32 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>>>> So um, what's the best way to make this behavior the default?
>>>
>>> This is a nice behavior but the problem is that overriding
>>> command-error-function also removes other useful default features
>>> such as logging error messages to the *Messages* buffer
>>> (see more at ‘print_error_message’).
>>
>> Could we first print it and then call minibuffer-message?
>
> more user-friendly displaying error messages in the minibuffer:

With no more comments received, pushed to master and closed.

Subject: Some minibuffer behaviour is annoying
From: pinkanon pinkanon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 21:13:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi! I have two issues regarding minibuffer usage:

(1) when I press backspace and the prompt is empty, minibuffer tells me
"Text is read-only". You. Don't. Say.

Proposed solution: while it can be argued that this is an OK default,
it would be great to have an option to show nothing instead.

(2) When I try to quit and some buffer is unchanged, I get the usual
deal asking me what I want. The problem I have here [in addition to
the problem discussed in (1), adapted to this case: "Type C-h for
help."] is that I must use C-g, but not good old escape.

Proposed solution: make [an option to be able to] ESC any minibuffer
prompt. In this particular case, maybe ESC could be added to one of
the possible response options, but that's an implementation detail as
far as I am concerned, a regular user.

Here are some other people trying to solve this problem with no luck.
https://superuser.com/questions/795763/how-to-make-emacs-quit-the-minibuffer-with-one-press-of-esc

I come from Vim background and these problems make Emacs look sluggish to
me. I really hope for a solution.

Thank you.

Best,
Pink Anon.