Subject: bug#34930: [bug-diffutils] bug#34930: diff enhancement request

From: Tim Waugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 09:28:58 +0000

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 at 23:12, Michael Aramini <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I wish to request an enhancement to diff which would add a command line
> option which takes a regular expression and suppresses differences none of
> whose lines match the regular expression.  Multiple instances of this
> option can be used to specify multiple regular expressions, which cases
> differences will be suppressed if none of the lines of the difference match
> any of the regular expressions.  (Such a feature would be more or less the
> complement of the existing --ignore-matching-lines=*regexp* (-I *regexp*)
> command line option to diff.)
>
> Please let me know if there already is way to accomplish this using
> existing options to GNU diff and/or by the use of other GNU Diffutils.
>

The grepdiff tool (from patchutils) might be able to do what you want,
perhaps in conjunction with other tools:
http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/patchutils/

Tim.
*/