Subject: bug#34927: closed (Re: bug#34927: Curl is not configured to use its dependency libssh2)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 21:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34927: Curl is not configured to use its dependency libssh2

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34927: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34927
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34927: Curl is not configured to use its dependency libssh2
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 22:02:01 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 08:06:24PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
>> This commit changed the cURL derivation, so I pushed a followup in
>> c1f4e6491cecc5d121ef371a8fb2aa0a07030d36.
>
> Oops... I did check that the libssh2 derivation had not changed, but I
> didn't expect the order of the inputs in the curl package definition to
> affect the derivation. Thanks for you quick fix!
>
>> I think using the "hidden?" property will leave the derivation
>> unchanged (as opposed to (hidden-package ...)).
>
> (hidden-package) does work to preserve the derivation — the issue was
> the inputs ordering in the curl package definition. I pushed another
> followup to use it.

Oops, indeed it does..  I must have mixed it up with something else,
thanks for correcting my flawed assumption :-)

Subject: Curl is not configured to use its dependency libssh2
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 16:40:52 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

While working on a libssh2 update [0] I noticed that curl was not
keeping a reference to libssh2, even though libssh2 is an input of the
curl build.

Our curl package is missing the required configuration option:

------
SSH support:      no      (--with-libssh2)
------

I assume that our curl package did build with SSH support in the past,
but I'm not sure.

It's unfortunate that we have to use a graft to update libssh2 even
though only a few dozen packages refer to it, because of this curl
issue.

What should we do about curl? Should we remove libssh2 from its inputs,
or enable the build-time --with-libssh2 configuration option?

[0] 
https://bugs.gnu.org/34926