Subject: Re: bug#34923: Message/race bug in 'dd'

From: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:57:04 -0600

tags 34923 notabug
severity 34923 wishlist
retitle 34923 dd: add messages about IO errors
stop

On 2019-03-19 9:44 p.m., Paul Eggert wrote:
> Daniel A. Gauthier wrote:
>> NOTICE that the "+nn" value on the line is always one off.  It says +0
>> after the first error, +1 after the second, etc. until the correct count
>> of error/short blocks is given at the end.
> 
> The count is supposed to just count short blocks, not errors. This is a 
> POSIX requirement. I installed the attached documentation patch to try 
> to make this clearer.

The documentation improvement was added here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/commit/?id=59e01d13e600be0d2c7f08f3aff8cf11936b3ea1

> Perhaps dd should output a separate line to stderr that summaries I/O 
> errors; it could do that without violating POSIX.

Marking this as a wishlist item.

-assaf