Subject: Re: bug#34862: 27.0.50; Trying to update pinyin.map

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 09:04:54 +0200

> From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:58:14 -0700
> 
> > I'm not sure I understand the encoding of which file would you like to
> > change?  Could you please clarify?
> 
> Sorry, I'm trying to add more characters to ./leim/MISC-DIC/pinyin.map,
> which is encoded as chinese-iso-8bit-dos, and it can't accept the new
> characters with that current encoding. That's the file I'd like to
> change.

That file is imported from an external source, isn't it?  Are you
saying we should stop synchronizing it with that source, and instead
fork it, maintain our own separate copy, and never resync with that
source again?  If so, then I see no reason not to recode it in UTF-8.

Btw, I understand that the Google pinyin method is Apache licensed,
but does this mean we can freely use its data for updating pinyin.map?
IANAL.  Could you perhaps describe how you intend to extract the data
from the Google input method for the purpose of updating our file?  I
think someone will have to audit that process for being legal and
compatible with both the Apache license and the GPL.

(Also, I'm somewhat surprised that gbk isn't capable of covering the
characters you want to add.  Or did you not try using it?)

Thanks.