Subject: bug#34849: Compilation issues with g++ on some files

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 00:04:09 -0600

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I believe the intent was to make the existing code be compilable with
>> a C++ compiler without introducing any C++ code per se.
>
> Although that may have been the intent, the downside is that a reasonable amount
> of work and testing would have to be done to support it.

Perhaps in the long run, but outside of these few issues everything
_seemed_ fine, at least with my particular configuration.

> On the Gnulib side we've had some skepticism that this would be worth
> the hassle; see:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/r/bug-gnulib/2019-03/msg00060.html
>
> Especially since there is a disciplined way of using the code that (at least for
> Alex's need) appears to work well enough; see:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/r/bug-gnulib/2019-03/msg00064.html

My problem there was that lisp.h includes verify.h, so I figure it would
have been better to either fix it in upstream (which got shot down) or
wrap the single include in extern "C++" rather than wrap most of lisp.h
in extern "C".