Subject: Re: bug#34849: Compilation issues with g++ on some files

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 22:32:33 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

In general, license changes are exactly the sort of thing we need to
prepare fore before the need actually arises.

  >   I understand the concerns regarding the
  > license, but we will need to revisit that when GPL's version is
  > advanced, and not sooner.

That reasoning could be valid if we were dealing with computers only.
However, Emacs's users are humans.  If they form a habit, they will
oppose changing it.

I don't want there to be humans who insist that Emacs should stay
under GPL v3 so it can continue to be linked with Qt.

This problem could be resolved if Qt moves to GPL 3-or-later.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)