Subject: bug#34849: Compilation issues with g++ on some files

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 22:45:40 -0600

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
>   > I'm thinking about trying my hand at making a Qt [1] GUI for Emacs,
>   > which is unfortunately written in C++.
>
> There are two problems with that.
>
> 1. I don't want C++ code in the Emacs distribution.  This isn't the sort
> of crucial thing that would override that general policy.

For the record, the addition of C++ was about as minimally invasive as
the Objective C code is, but I understand your desire to keep C++ out.

> 2. Qt is licensed under GPL 3 only.  If we ever need to make a GPL
> version 4, we would release the next Emacs version under GPL 4-or-later,
> so it could not be linked with Qt.
>
> You can make the changes you wish, but we should not include it in
> Emacs itself.

The licensing situation is unfortunate. Thank you for giving me notice
of this before spending much time on making it work.