Subject: Re: bug#34849: Compilation issues with g++ on some files

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 22:24:18 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > I'm thinking about trying my hand at making a Qt [1] GUI for Emacs,
  > which is unfortunately written in C++.

There are two problems with that.

1. I don't want C++ code in the Emacs distribution.  This isn't the sort
of crucial thing that would override that general policy.

2. Qt is licensed under GPL 3 only.  If we ever need to make a GPL
version 4, we would release the next Emacs version under GPL 4-or-later,
so it could not be linked with Qt.

You can make the changes you wish, but we should not include it in
Emacs itself.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)