Subject: 26.1; Remote `eshell/mv' and `eshell/cp' on Windows: Opening output file: Invalid argument, c:/home/ ...

From: Jordan Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 21:54:00 +0000

Hi,
this bug is similar to my previously reported bug #33791. I'm running
Emacs 26.1 (with the patched files.el that fixed that bug[1]) on Windows
10. I've replicated this with "emacs -Q".

When using eshell connected to a GNU/Linux machine, `eshell/cp' and
`eshell/mv' (which are called in eshell with the commands "cp" and "mv")
both return an "Invalid argument" error when the source and destination
are relative paths on the remote machine.

Recipe:
- connect to GNU/Linux machine using plink:
    /plink:[email-masked]:/home/jordan/
- cp/mv a file between locations on the remote machine
    /plink:[email-masked]:/home/jordan $ cp file.txt directory/
- returns:
   Opening output file: Invalid argument, c:/plink:[email-masked]:/home/jordan/file.txt

I'm guessing it's a problem of not correctly handling the relative TRAMP
paths, as it works if provided the full paths for the source and
destination.

Thanks.

Footnotes: 
[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33791;msg=34  

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-05-29 built on TPW550S
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17134
Recent messages:

Configured using:
 'configure --without-compress-install --without-dbus --with-modules
 'CFLAGS= -O2 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENG
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

-- 
Jordan Wilson
    Sent from Gnus v5.13, GNU Emacs 26.1