Subject: Re: [bug#34820] [PATCH] gnu: rust: Update to 1.32.0

From: Brett Gilio <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 21:58:07 -0500

Ivan Petkov writes:

> Hi Brett!
>
>> On Mar 26, 2019, at 6:51 PM, Brett Gilio <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> LGTM, I want to try maintaining a local build for nightly which requires
>> 1.33 atm. Do we have an ETA on how long until we can get that? What can
>> I do to help?
>
> I actually have a patch ready for packaging 1.33, just been holding off to
> avoid the noise while we get 1.31/1.32 built. Happy to post put it up if
> you'd like to see a copy!
>
> As far as maintaining nightlies goes, I think it would be a challenge to
> keep up manually, unless you happen to have some cron job that builds a
> new version daily. I've been considering packaging rustup within guix
> after 1.33 lands, which might make it possible to develop with nightly
> rust without having to maintain a nightly build within guix itself.
>
> Not sure what challenges there may be with the rustup approach though
> (will the prebuild binaries work well with guix?). I'd be happy to hear
> if you make any progress though!
>
> —Ivan

You are probably right, there are definitely going to be some liability
issues about working with the nightly branch. But it was something I was
interested in investigating. The more we deal with rust on Guix, the
more I think that rustup is going to have to become a necessity if we
want to attract more Rust developers to using Guix. Nightly is almost a
requirement for a good few.

You might be knowing that Nix has the rustup toolchain, and it seems to
work fine. Although, there is the nasty linker issue which requires
building all rust projects in a nix-shell with the mozilla rust
channel. So, there is definitely some potential challenges there, but it
is definitely something we need to investigate imo.

Also, yes, please send me the patch off list.

Brett