Subject: bug#34819: closed (Re: bug#34819: 26.1; Blank help-echo tooltips for mode line menus)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 06:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34819: 26.1; Blank help-echo tooltips for mode line menus

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34819: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34819
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34819: 26.1; Blank help-echo tooltips for mode line menus
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
To: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 15:31:23 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 21:56:13 +0900,
Phil Sainty wrote:
> 
> On 20/06/19 11:04 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> > I think the patch I posted previously does the right thing.
> > Please try it.
> 
> Thanks; I've just built and tested with this patch, and it does
> indeed seem to resolve the problem.
> 
> I'm not able to review the code change, but all my previous test
> cases are now displaying their tooltips correctly.

Thanks for testing.  I've pushed the patch to master as 82d6b390b5e
(flush_frame part) and 4a5a74a07ff (inhibit-double-buffering part).
Closing the bug.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]

Subject: 26.1; Blank help-echo tooltips for mode line menus
From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 12:45:58 +1300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Following from:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-03/msg00324.html

Recipe from emacs -Q (and --with-x-toolkit=lucid)

* M-x text-mode
* Mouse 1 click on "Text" in the mode line to open the menu
* Hover over any of the menu items until the tooltip appears

For me, this produces tooltips of the appropriate dimensions, but the
text itself is not visible.

When I use the top menu bar instead of the mode line, the tooltip text
is visible.

I note also that if I simply hover over "Text" in the mode line, the
"Major mode" tooltip appears with visible text; however if I click-and-
hold the mouse button *before* the tooltip has had time to appear, then
it will be blank when it does appear (over the top of the menu).

-Phil

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll 
bars)
  of 2018-10-23 built on hal
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.11906000
System Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(New file)
Using vacuous schema
Quit [2 times]
Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/home/phil/emacs/26/26.1/usr/local
  --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-sound'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: nXML

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml
rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-ns easymenu nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dom cl-loaddefs cl-lib nxml-util
nxml-enc xmltok dired dired-loaddefs advice elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 114978 10197)
  (symbols 48 22012 1)
  (miscs 40 116 126)
  (strings 32 34678 2181)
  (string-bytes 1 892076)
  (vectors 16 17344)
  (vector-slots 8 521397 14092)
  (floats 8 68 61)
  (intervals 56 338 0)
  (buffers 992 17))