Subject: dirname manpages documentation (feature request - documentation)

From: Tamus JRoyce <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:41:48 -0400

Hi,

No worries if this is disregarded or discarded. No need to respond back. I
am grateful for what everyone has done regardless of action taken in
regards to this email.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)#Misconceptions

Action Item:
    a.) Consider updating manpage documentation to confirm how posix paths
work in regards to trailing slash vs. trailing slash and period.
    or
    b.) Correct / remove my mistake (misinformation) on wikipedia. And
forgive what I had incorrectly written.

Details:
    I have updated wikipedia to better explain how paths work --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)#Misconceptions.
    This is based directly on what I have seen dirname  work. Very, very
thankful for this utility. And posix standards in general.

    The manpages seem to be missing details on how the tool works. And even
Windows seems to adhere to this standard.
    Although it is less obvious, due to its aggressive nature resolving
paths (case insensitivity).

Again, David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering have done some awesome work! As
well as everyone involved in gnu! Thank you everyone!

Hopefully helpful,
TamusJRoyce (James Galyen)