Subject: Re: [bug#34807] [PATCH 1/2] Add (guix lzlib).

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 01:28:09 +0200

Ludo',

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> So, depending on the client, ‘guix publish’ should return either 
> a
> narinfo-for-gzip or a narinfo-for-lzip.  To make it possible, 
> new
> clients could send an extra HTTP header, say 
> ‘X-Guix-Compression’, that
> would specify their preferred compression method(s).  ‘guix 
> publish’
> would take that into account when replying.

There's a standard[0] HTTP header for that: ‘Accept-Encoding’.

Unfortunately (and for reasons that I cannot fathom), it doesn't 
use standard MIME types, but pseudostandard strings like ‘gzip’ 
and ‘br’.  We can boldly add ‘lzip’ to that :-)

Similarly, servers can send ‘Content-Encoding’[1] HTTP headers, 
but I don't see a need for it here.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: 
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Accept-Encoding
[1]: 
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Content-Encoding