Subject: bug#34799: closed (font breakage, square boxes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 14:45:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34799: font breakage, square boxes

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34799: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34799
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: font breakage, square boxes
From: Royce Strange <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:44:19 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.

Bradley Haggerty said that the fix provided by Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
worked for him.

Closing.

Subject: font breakage, square boxes
From: Bradley Haggerty <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 02:48:14 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

A recent update breaks my fonts for most programs, making all characters
show as empty boxes. This happens inside and outside tmux, across various
terminal emulators, etc. It does not occur in deluge-gtk or my TTY. I
experimented with rolling back and doing a partial upgrade from there. With
this list of packages to upgrade, the issue comes back.

The following packages will be upgraded:
   font-terminus        4.40 → 4.47
/gnu/store/a3sksxcg43z7scag56mgg32mjnw2k6fd-font-terminus-4.47

   font-gnu-unifont     11.0.03 → 12.0.01
/gnu/store/ypljs2fyv33f6l55mj6spha7w2pxlr3w-font-gnu-unifont-12.0.01

   mpd  0.21.4 → 0.21.5
/gnu/store/dgj45pd8cg9n9fs95mlw8yprkdrsb4fz-mpd-0.21.5
   gnunet-gtk   0.10.1 → 0.10.1
/gnu/store/3vz8z6wn0cdrfsbz9yxclzyn7vnb5w81-gnunet-gtk-0.10.1

   gnunet       0.10.1 → 0.10.1
/gnu/store/a8jahsmhk21vz350izp2zfn1dbb3bc3j-gnunet-0.10.1

   gimp 2.10.8 → 2.10.8
/gnu/store/81z6bjvd9rx05l4hviisc98cirrn57z9-gimp-2.10.8
   ffmpeg       4.1.1 → 4.1.1
/gnu/store/4hcr7ygdhaxws6q5dj806cbvq0dkfgkw-ffmpeg-4.1.1

   youtube-dl   2019.02.18 → 2019.03.01
/gnu/store/1glmmv0lv1szipgk3ikbjdgp9xnncvrm-youtube-dl-2019.03.01

   qucs-s       0.0.20 → 0.0.20
/gnu/store/vf4pbqbaxq87rgjxw98alhgcd4dmahyz-qucs-s-0.0.20

   mpv  0.29.1 → 0.29.1
/gnu/store/xyfjhq1mcq4d4ijy65fxishz467r37kl-mpv-0.29.1
   vinagre      3.22.0 → 3.22.0
/gnu/store/gp3xi8zgxdxjiidk5b4wkq34vn08jv58-vinagre-3.22.0

   zathura      0.4.3 → 0.4.3
/gnu/store/92pkqiqsa4ngm70mw8a4qn9jr7azj2ap-zathura-0.4.3

   xinit        1.4.0 → 1.4.1
/gnu/store/d01b76z9kdyyajyxqln2m56i8ghdkdys-xinit-1.4.1

   xdg-utils    1.1.3 → 1.1.3
/gnu/store/gmzvdpqzcrvf06pjb3594gvhc46zyd12-xdg-utils-1.1.3

   ruby-pry     0.11.3 → 0.11.3
/gnu/store/vpv29xhpv7j1mi0plis1svqr7sf0n48j-ruby-pry-0.11.3

   readline     7.0.5 → 7.0.5
/gnu/store/si88gb25621k0w60kij5lxksn8l24664-readline-7.0.5

   python-glances       3.0.2 → 3.0.2
/gnu/store/9pa0x2s8jnldjkij7gb4yrinm0ccyj5q-python-glances-3.0.2

   pulseaudio   12.2 → 12.2
/gnu/store/hd3x89yknm4k6k4gw16jy5xk7idq1sxf-pulseaudio-12.2

   pcmanfm      1.3.0 → 1.3.0
/gnu/store/b0585azqb0wibpx7qn6gr740f8fh6cw5-pcmanfm-1.3.0

   minetest     0.4.17.1 → 5.0.0
/gnu/store/7n1dvbxqd2kk75sj4zi4snzw7d5y63cv-minetest-5.0.0

   fontconfig   2.13.1 → 2.13.1
/gnu/store/66jfnfgca7yi6xmpw6ax86cldvr016ia-fontconfig-2.13.1

   font-adobe-source-han-sans:jp        1.004 → 1.004
/gnu/store/zaj1ias1gdz3jmsgvhvn0c706aqw32b1-font-adobe-source-han-sans-1.004-jp

   dconf        0.28.0 → 0.28.0
/gnu/store/x6dgfq8b382jgciq24zcxlgpgxfxaxk2-dconf-0.28.0

It is hard to say what is to blame here. Three separate font packages are
being upgraded as well as fontconfig. Attached is a screenshot showing what
this breakage looks like. I worry that holding back fontconfig might  lead
to issues with the other fonts upgrading. I don't know if those fonts all
updated due to universal font changes.

$guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 2b613a1a5d4d41b0b5d1f6ea7254585be0c209fa