Subject: bug#34799: font breakage, square boxes, font-terminus

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:34:08 +0100

Bradley,

Bradley Haggerty wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply. I've got a couple other guix issues 
> I'm
> struggling to sort out recently as well.

No problem.  I hope you get them resolved.  I can only say that 
Guix is worth it.

> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice said:
>>Does the attached patch fix your problem?
>
> I'm a bit of a novice. Can you (or someone else) explain how I 
> apply this
> patch file?

You'd clone the Guix git repository from Savannah, ‘git am’ the 
patch e-mail in question, then follow the instructions in section 
14.2 (Running Guix Before It Is Installed) of the manual using 
‘./pre-inst-env guix package -i font-terminus’ to install the 
patched package.

However, you won't need to do any of that today.  :-)

I was already on the fence about just pushing this change anyway, 
and remembering the existence of outputs sealed the deal.  I 
always forget that they exist.  Installing ‘font-terminus’ still 
gives you the upstream selection, but could you

  $ guix pull
  $ guix package -i font-terminus:pcf-8bit
  $ fc-cache -fr

verify that the above command worked:

  $ fc-list | grep ter-116b
  …are/fonts/terminus/ter-116b.pcf.gz: Terminus:style=Bold

and see if your font situation improves?

If Terminus is actually unusable without those files, I'll add 
them back to :out.

Kind regards,

T G-R