Subject: 27.0.50; xclip issue in tramp mode

From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 00:11:28 +0100

Hi:

There is an issue in xclip-mode when using tramp

emacs -q -nw
C-x C-f /ssh:user@host:file RET
M-x load-file RET xclip.el RET
M-x xclip-mode RET
abcd C-SPC C-a M-w C-e RET   <-1
C-y                          <-2
RET                          <-3
C-y M-y RET                  <-4
S-C-v                        <-5

Produces this output:
abcd                         <-1
sh: xclip: command not found <-2
                             <-3
abcd                         <-4
abcd                         <-5

As you can see the 2) yanks the error message including a new line.
But 4) (emacs yank + yank-pop) yanks the text and 5 (xterm-paste) too.

Best,
Ergus

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 25, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2019-03-08 built on Ergus
Repository revision: 0dbc4a697afb2a1e409909289f608fd4da875c24
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/ergo/PhD/emacs/emacs.install_arch
 --with-mailutils --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils term/tmux
term/xterm xterm elec-pair mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 49458 7090)
 (symbols 48 5989 1)
 (strings 32 15224 2043)
 (string-bytes 1 506195)
 (vectors 16 7507)
 (vector-slots 8 72469 12698)
 (floats 8 23 417)
 (intervals 56 197 0)
 (buffers 992 12))