Subject: bug#34788: closed (Re: bug#34788: Trouble starting GNOME -- fails to activate "org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 22:25:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34788: Trouble starting GNOME -- fails to activate "org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1"

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34788: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34788
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34788: Trouble starting GNOME -- fails to activate "org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1"
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 23:24:28 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

There were two issues:

  1. /var/empty would be 700 and owned by one of the accounts that uses
     it as its home directories.  Consequently, polkitd would fail to
     chdir to it, and thus fail to start.

  2. /var/run/dbus would be 700 as well, but the problem is that it
     contains the daemon’s socket, so D-Bus client would no longer be
     able to connect to it.

Both are fixed with commit d429878daf3e3eb21660ed80934b1d4b0603f6e1.

Sorry for the breakage!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: Trouble starting GNOME -- fails to activate "org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1"
From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 13:54:43 -0500 (EST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

Today I noticed that I'm having trouble starting a GNOME session. If I'm 
using GDM, GDM also fails to start. If slim, then slim starts, but bringing 
up the GNOME session fails.

In /var/log/gdm/greeter.log I see "(EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open 
virtual console 7 (Permission denied)"

In /var/log/messages I see "gdm: gdm_session_set_environment_variable: 
assertion 'value != NULL' failed"

and "debus-daemon[598]: [system] Activated service 
'org.freedesktop.PloicyKit1' failed: Launch helper exited with unknown 
return code 1"

My first system generation where this is a problem is my first one to have 
linux-libre-5.0. I do not know how to narrow down where the problem was 
introduced further.

Best,
Jack