Subject: Re: bug#34788: Trouble starting GNOME -- fails to activate "org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1"

From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 14:39:49 -0500 (EST)

Danny and Guix,

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:

> is that on a standalone Guix system or on another distribution?

standalone Guix system

> Please try to find a file named "org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service" in
> /gnu/store and then find a line like the following in it:
>
> Exec=/gnu/store/xfysy3c824m4z8b07sbiangp7i2xfh6s-polkit-0.113/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug
>
> Then please try to invoke that polkitd manually as root.
>
> Does it also fail?

I have many org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service files in my store. I tred 
the Exec line from two of them manually as root, and they also failed 
silently. Here is a an exerpt from my session:

root@lib-its13 /gnu/store# find . -iname 'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service'
./4nxdlw9jj03inwvqs85bvlibmsxcndih-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./xhr56s8ayycsdyyy5mfb4r2j1qsm9ca7-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./5naf5pps59jwllzq63y7qgkmfvx3g5c9-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./fhsx7yznpywr9gsi5swp9hy3ldmp3agq-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./wsypapfwsz7h1bkkx83smjjrmaxgpfyw-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./agrvhlrl5q69lc83c3ns9gmydisdijjz-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./diwy3wlmq8nhyzm7v70kcjny3lrdsfmw-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./zab72xhxdrcnfx1vdwkwfhfj4n0pwcwz-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./jc37c1k9kywwyz7fz2sj5r4dlv1z0jf0-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./vs2ibcf146467vlqcg3ysgjrvyh3g57x-polkit-0.115/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./19cyxhdcv27az62dswbwm9f5k9y0w9ng-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./kwpslvrhn37hpmsdjnrvdhdmwskkm35x-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./1fd1ys2ivs1cxh60ic6n7rmmnjfp1fyb-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./23nk0i4nncvxx5ah139ai82diqqgg5d9-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./y41zsmfvyfdf333a2d50s925kshjnf2r-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
./c57y49r44086xi8lh12s192m2w26b0ba-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
^C
root@lib-its13 /gnu/store# cat c57y49r44086xi8lh12s192m2w26b0ba-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1
Exec=/gnu/store/n9x6x19y5fsv6j0y3kpppgcycagg6y79-polkit-0.115/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug
User=root
SystemdService=polkit.service
root@lib-its13 /gnu/store# /gnu/store/n9x6x19y5fsv6j0y3kpppgcycagg6y79-polkit-0.115/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug
root@lib-its13 /gnu/store# echo $?
1
root@lib-its13 /gnu/store# cat fhsx7yznpywr9gsi5swp9hy3ldmp3agq-dbus-system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1
Exec=/gnu/store/vs2ibcf146467vlqcg3ysgjrvyh3g57x-polkit-0.115/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug
User=root
SystemdService=polkit.service
root@lib-its13 /gnu/store# /gnu/store/vs2ibcf146467vlqcg3ysgjrvyh3g57x-polkit-0.115/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug
root@lib-its13 /gnu/store# echo $?
1
root@lib-its13 /gnu/store# ps -ef|grep polkit
root       767   729  0 14:35 pts/1    00:00:00 grep --color=auto polkit
root@lib-its13 /gnu/store#